Saturday 5 May 2012

A Domino's Triple Chocolate Cookie Throwdown!


When Domino's got in touch with me and issued me with a challenge, how could I say no! They challenged me to make a better triple chocolate cookie than the one they have just brought out this week.  My first thoughts were that this was going to be too easy! Of course I can bake a better homemade cookie than any mass produced offering Domino's can put together.


So I went to my local store in Bangor to pick up a box of four Domino's Triple Chocolate Cookies.  First impressions weren't too great, I was a little disappointed by their size and their appearance was not so attractive.  In fact a few of mine even looked like they could have been slightly overdone, I was less than enthusiastic about trying them...


which is why I was so pleasantly surprised when they were actually really good! They are sold warm when you buy them in store but since we live 25 minutes away, we zapped ours for 25 seconds in the microwave when we got home to try them at their best.  They were hard and crunchy on the outside and the inside was so fudgy and moist that it was almost brownie like.  How were they able to create the perfect balance of crunchy edge and fudgy middle? I knew this challenge was not going to be as easy as I originally thought! 


So I whipped up my best attempt at my version of a Triple Chocolate Cookie.  I hope you'll agree with me that mine seemed more aesthetically pleasing than Domino's offerings.  Unfortunately that is where my cookies triumph ended.  


Whilst it did have a lovely fudgy middle, and I enjoyed the gooey pools of chocolate that were achieved by pressing a few chocolate chunks into the surface of the cookie just before baking, it wasn't quite as good as Domino's version.  Something my husband told me rather hesitantly, so as not to hurt my feelings! but I had to concur.  Although I had achieved the fudgy middle, my outsides weren't quite as crisp as the edges on the Domino cookie and for that reason I admit defeat.

Dominos: 1 vs Cupcake Crazy Gem: 0

Defeated by a maker of pizza! So to all those curious about the new cookie offerings from Domino's - I would definitely recommend giving them a try.  They will surprise you and will be a perfectly sweet ending to your tasty pizza feast! 

Here is the recipe of the cookies I baked up.

Triple Chocolate Cookies:
Makes 14 large cookies
Adapted from Annie's Eats

205g plain flour
45g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp coarse salt
145g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g caster sugar
100g brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
30g semi-skimmed milk
125g milk chocolate chunks
150g white chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
Line baking sheets with tin foil.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and both sugars.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Add in the egg, vanilla extract and milk.  Blend until smooth.  With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.  Add in 3/4 of the chocolate chunks and fold in gently with a spatula.

Use a large ice cream scoop to drop rounds of dough onto the baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.  Gently press a few pieces of the reserved chocolate chunks into the top of each of the dough balls.  Bake 12-14 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  (The cookies may seem too soft immediately after coming out of the oven but they will set as they cool, you don't want to overbake them.)

Let them cool on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.

Disclosure: Domino's provided me with compensation for purchasing this product for review.  However, my participation was voluntary and all opinions and views expressed are my own.

6 comments:

  1. I just posted my review on my blog - I had a blind taste test with my friends which was good fun! Your cookie definitely looks better. I'm not sure how to achieve that fudgy middle and crisp outside either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL i find it quite funny how they're sending their cookies out and challenging such talented bakers like you! That's crazy! I don't believe Dominos can make good cookies :P so i totally think yours are better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would LOVE yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think yours look better than theres!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh:( I am sad to hear you think the Domino's cookies were better. I'm sure yours were healthier though and they were also made with love:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails