Monday 23 April 2012

White Choc Chunk Banana Bread


The last time I made this banana bread it was so tasty that it never even made it to the photography stage! So I exercised a great deal of self restraint this time around to make sure that did not happen!
I made it with milk chocolate chunks the past few times which is super delicious, but this time due to my husbands request I made it with white chocolate instead.  Strangely enough, it just seemed to bake out altogether and disappear! The reason I loved it so much with the milk chocolate chunks was the melting pools of chocolate you would find in each slice so cutting in to it with no white chocolate in sight was a little disappointing!

I used some of the leftover chocolate frosting I had from when I made rainbow cupcakes and after warming up a slice in the microwave for 20 seconds (because in my opinion eating banana bread warm is the only way to go!) I spread some frosting on and it definitely made up for the lack of chocolate coming through.  It started to melt into the banana bread as it was warm and it was a perfect afternoon treat for a rainy Welsh day we were experiencing! 

White Choc Chunk Banana Bread:
Makes 1 regular and 2 mini loaves
From Whipped

1 1/2 cup all plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 medium, ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup white chocolate, chopped


Grease  loaf pans with butter. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

In a bowl, whisk together flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar.  Mix in the slightly beaten eggs and mashed bananas. Slowly stir in the melted butter just until incorporated. Chop white chocolate into chunks.  Put it into a bowl and toss it in one tablespoon of flour until all the chocolate is covered (this prevents the chocolate sinking to the bottom). Stir choc chunks into the mix.

Pour into prepared pans. 
Bake  for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. If you use the mini loaf pans, adjust to about 30 minutes. Just take a peek and if the top is starting to brown and looks cooked, try the toothpick to test for doneness. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.


I'm entering this into the Alphabakes challenge, hosted by The More Than Occasional Baker this month.  The letter for the month was B, I am sure my banana bread will be one of many! 
If you want to join along, Caroline Makes will be announcing the new letter for next month if you keep an eye on her blog.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for entering this to AlphaBakes. You know how much I love banana bread (although not a huge fan of white choc) My mum makes a banana bread with white choc chips which is delicious. I definitely won't say no if you offer me a slice or two of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. White chocolate works well to add structure to a cake I've found, but you're right, not so good as chunks. I'm with you, chunks of good milk chocolate is the way to go. Looks delicious anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely delicious...the perfect loaf! The white chocolate disappearing is disappointing as you say! I guess maybe it's because white chocolate is cocoa butter without the solids so it just melts away????

    Also thanks so much for adding me to your Foodies 100 list...it's really nice of you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh looks great! Look forward to seeing your entry for May... :-)

    I have a couple of awards for you, which involve passing on 5 random facts about yourself :-) You can see what it is here: http://www.carolinemakes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/versatile-blogger-and-sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOTALLY going to try this recipe ASAP! Bananas are SO SO SO Cheap right now and I LOVE banana bread but i've never thought of putting white chocolate in it silly me :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails