Thursday 23 October 2014

Halloween Peanut Butter Cup Pumpkin Rocky Road!


Rocky Road is one of my favourite things to make! It doesn't require you to turn on your mixer and wake a sleeping baby, or try and track down where the heck your whisk attachment has gone to (seriously whisk...where are you? my guess is lost in the move) and it can certainly be whipped up in one of the baby's shorter naps...and if you're lucky enough to live in a hot country it's good for those days when you can't bear to turn the oven on!  It is also SO versatile! It was one of the very first things I ever baked, using a recipe from one of those little random chocolate recipe books you get as a stocking filler! Go ahead and laugh at my embarrassing blog post back in 2009 where it made its debut. Since then I have jazzed it up using all of my favourite treats - Snickers and OreoReese's peanut butter, crazy amounts of coconut and festive peppermint ones plus seasonal mini egg easter ones too!


So I thought it was about time that my peanut butter rocky road got made over into a Halloween edition! because I found a bag of reese's peanut butter pumpkins in Tesco and I knew I had to use them in my kitchen! Sadly when I opened them up they didn't look like pumpkins at all! just an oval sized peanut butter cup! so I pimped them jack-o-lantern style with a little bit of orange coloured white chocolate, green sanding sugar and chocolate sprinkles and mini chocolate chips!


I'm not exactly an artist, but hopefully there's no denying now that those are pumpkins!


I even added in peanut butter m&m's too to truly amp up the peanut butter goodness involved! and with some chopped peanut butter cups making up the bulk of the add ins you just can't go wrong! Throw some marshmallows, chopped nice and chunky, and rice krispies into the mix and you've got one delicious Halloween treat!

Not a trick in sight!


Peanut Butter Cup Pumpkin Rocky Road:
Serves 9
Adapted from Cupcake Crazy Gem

400g milk chocolate
100g dark chocolate
2 tsp vegetable oil
35g rice krispies
150g marshmallows
75g peanut butter m&m's
240g peanut butter cups (approx. 16)

9 peanut butter pumpkins
60g white chocolate, I used milky bar
1/2 tsp orange food colouring
green sanding sugar
18 chocolate sprinkles
9 mini chocolate chips

Line an 8x8 dish with parchment paper.
Melt your milk and dark chocolate in a large bowl together over a pan of boiling water.  Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the vegetable oil.  Leave to cool.

Chop your marshmallows in half, and your peanut butter cups into quarters.  Measure out your rice krispies and peanut butter m&m's.  Check that your chocolate is completely cool - you should leave it for at least 10 minutes (if it's still warm, when you add in your chocolates they will melt so the cooling process is important!)  Once it's cool, stir in all the mix ins.  Spread evenly into your baking pan.  I like to reserve back a bit of the chocolate in the bottom of the mixing bowl to use right at the end to smooth out the surface of the rocky road.

Melt your white chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave in 20 second bursts - watch it because white chocolate burns easily.  I used milky bar because the lower quality white chocolate melts far easier - don't go buying any fancy stuff for this.  Once melted stir in the orange food colouring.  Put into a piping bag and snip a tiny tip off the end.

Take 9 pumpkins, and pipe a thin edge all the way round with the orange chocolate.  Do zig zag lines in the middle of each pumpkin and at the end go back with your piping bag tip to help smooth out the chocolate until the pumpkin surface is completely covered.  Sprinkle green sanding sugar on the stem, and use 2 chocolate sprinkles for the eyes.  Place a mini chocolate chip for the nose.

Once all your pumpkins are complete, place them on top of the rocky road, pushing down slightly so they set into the chocolate.

Refrigerate for 2 hours until set, or overnight.

Eat and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes! You can't go wrong with this combo. I'll have to look out for those pumpkins, love how you decorated them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Yes, I even saw they are all half price now in Tesco so still good for your peanut butter fix even though Halloween is over :)

      Delete
  2. This looks such a delicious Halloween treat- I can never resist a slice of Rocky Road (well, when I say 'slice', I mean 'several slices'!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know what you mean! My husband and I are only meant to be eating treats at weekends at the moment but I made it midweek for a halloween party, and we said oh we'll just have one bit...and then several bits later - it was a midweek diet fail!!!

      Delete
  3. I've decided to make this for Halloween and must say they were delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed them! This rocky road recipe is an all time fave of mine!

      Delete
  4. This has all my favourite ingredients and a no bake recipe too! I love what you've done to the pumpkins

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails