Wednesday 13 June 2012

South African Granadilla Fridge Tart


As you know, my mom had a birthday recently and I made her Key Lime Pie.  It didn't even last 'til the 2nd evening of my stay! so after our birthday Braai we needed another dessert.  I helped my mom whip up this Granadilla Fridge Tart, a South African dessert that she said her mother made countless times when she was younger.  I don't know why she's waited so long to do the same for us! because it's the first time we had ever had it, and it's definitely not going to be the last - it was so delicious!

It occurred to me recently that the other South African desserts I have featured on my blog so far have both been no bake: Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tart and Romany Minty Choc Fridge Tart and now this dessert too  - I guess when you live in South Africa and are already contending with a hot climate then the last thing you feel like doing is turning on your oven.  

So back to the dessert.  From what I can tell Granadilla's are the same as what we call Passion Fruit, but in South Africa they will always be referred to as Granadilla.  I also have it in mind that Granadilla's are slightly larger too but it's been a long time since I've seen one, and they taste the same too! Regular Passion Fruit's were used to make this.  The original recipe calls for Tennis Biscuits, which I've mentioned on here before - they are South Africa's equivalent to Nice biscuits so you can use those or any biscuit crumb will work just fine. Hmm, I'm just imagining how good Graham Cracker crumbs would be with this! You can also use any flavour jelly you would like to switch things up, we kept ours totally tropical and used pineapple flavour jelly.  

This is a perfect summery dessert, it is so light and creamy and refreshing and I can't wait to bake up another one very soon.  I'm also thinking of how I can work some coconut in there too (aside from the coconut flavour biscuits that it already contains!) yes...the coconut obsession continues! 


Granadilla Fridge Tart:
Serves 6
Adapted from Food24

1 packet pineapple jelly
410g chilled evaporated milk
1/4 cup caster sugar
granadilla pulp from 5/6 granadillas
2 packets biscuits of your choice (Tennis/Rich Tea/Nice)
4 pineapple rings

Mix the jelly with 250ml boiling water and set aside to cool.
Beat the ideal milk until "stiffish", continue beating while adding the sugar.  It should look thickened.
Stir in the cool jelly and granadilla pulp, combine well.
Crush biscuits into crumbs.
In glass bowl, layer biscuit crumbs and then jelly mixture on top.  Repeat and finish off with a top layer of biscuits.
I decorated mine with a sprinkling of granadilla seeds and juice and a few slices of pineapple.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set.

Sit back, and watch, as people will want to lick the bowl clean - it is that good! 

14 comments:

  1. Mmm, looks lovely and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Katie! Have you got any ideas yet what you'll be baking for next months Clandestine?

      Delete
  2. How delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I hope one day in the future virtual technology will get to the point where we can share slices of our bakes through the screen because I wish you all could have tried some of this!!

      Delete
  3. YUM! These not only sounds good but looks delicious too! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I love decorating with passion fruit seeds!

      Delete
  4. Hurrah NO coconut!! :) This looks and sounds delicious - definitely very summery and refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost no coconut! the biscuits used that are crushed up between the layers are coconut flavoured! but they're pretty subtle so you might get away with it!

      Delete
  5. this sounds simply to die for! LOVE that pineapple jelly! Really exotic and wonderful. So sorry to hear of your needy moment - best of luck with your move!!!!
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! It all went okay in the end, had to bin a lot of nice stuff in the end just because I didn't have space for it in my car but it wasn't too bad! Yes, the pineapple jelly is amazing!

      Delete
  6. i just can't get over your recipes, incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. That's exactly what I said when my mom told me what she would be making!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails