Tuesday 27 March 2012

Coconut Birdie Nest Cupcakes with Mini Eggs for Easter


I just finished an essay that is due in tomorrow, my reward is blogging this post! I don't want to have to think about verbal operants, listener and speaker responses or mand repertoires for the next little while so let's talk about cupcakes instead! 

These were the next Easter offerings I made for my cupcake stall! Coconut cupcakes with creamy coconut frosting, and a sprinkling of toasted shredded coconut that I arranged to look like a nest and then I filled the nest with Cadbury's Mini Eggs! 

I was even able to use the super cute chick toppers I got free in the Easter issue of my Love Baking Magazine.

As you all know by now coconut is one of my very favourite flavours! but I am aware that for whatever strange reason it is a bit of a love/hate thing for others.

Apparently for the people of North Wales, it's a hate thing! I only sold one of my coconut flavoured cupcakes! and that was to a South African lady.  

Seriously, it's so boring just liking plain vanilla and chocolate cupcakes - people need to be more adventurous with their tastes! At the end of the day though it meant there were lots of coconut cupcakes left over for us to indulge in so it wasn't all bad! 


Coconut Cupcakes:
Makes 12 Regular and 24 Mini

165g unsalted butter, at room temperature
270g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
187g self-raising flour
180g plain flour
187ml coconut milk
40g desiccated coconut

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar until pale and smooth, which should take about 3-5 minutes using an electric mixer.  Add the eggs one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition and adding the vanilla extract at the end.

Combine the two flours in a separate bowl.  Add one-third of the flour to the creamed mixture and beat well.  Pour in one-third of the coconut milk and beat again.  Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk have been added.  Fold in the desiccated coconut using a metal spoon.

Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them two-thirds full.  
Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until slightly raised and golden brown, or when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave in the cake tins to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Coconut Frosting:
Makes enough to frost the above

560g icing sugar
180g unsalted butter, softened
60ml coconut milk

Beat half the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding mixer on medium speed until the mixture comes together, then add the remaining butter and sugar.
Add coconut milk and beat until incorporated. 
Turn up to high speed and beat for 5 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.

To decorate:

Toasted shredded coconut
3 packs of Cadbury's Mini Eggs

I'm sharing these for Cupcake Tuesday over at Hoosier Homemade! 

4 comments:

  1. These are so cute. I've used those mini mini eggs before, they are perfect for decorations. Love the idea of using coconut milk in the buttercream - will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, they are so cute! I'm really looking forward to baking some easter cupcakes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get it either; I love coconut! The cupcakes are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for finishing your essay! I still remembr like it was yesterday rushing to finish an essay :D these cupcakes are so cute! I love how you've put them in a little basket hehe i might make these for my man for Easter :) thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails