Tuesday 21 February 2012

Happy Pancake Day! Let's celebrate with Double Chocolate Mint Oreo Pancakes!


So it's Shrove Tuesday here in the UK, those of you in the U.S will probably be celebrating 'Fat Tuesday'.  Either way hopefully you will have been whipping up some delicious over the top treats no matter what side of the Atlantic you live on! 

Typical English pancakes are usually thin crepe style pancakes, and the traditional topping is a sprinkling of sugar with lemon juice.  Don't get me wrong, that type of pancake does have a place...but not in my kitchen! I wanted to make something truly decadent! 

I was planning to add some Mint Oreos in to some regular pancake batter, when I realised it would be even better if the pancake batter was chocolate to begin with! So double chocolate Mint Oreo pancakes were born (because they are studded with chocolate chunks as well as the Oreos!)

My husband declared this the best pancake day we've ever shared together, so the twist on tradition proved a big success! 


Check out that awesome neon green flash in the batter! Unfortunately you couldn't see the green colour peeking out once they were baked but you could definitely still taste the mintiness!

Double Chocolate Mint Oreo Pancakes:
Makes 15-20 depending on size
Adapted from Becky Bakes

3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
1 1/4 cups semi-skimmed milk

90g chocolate chunks
90g crushed Mint Oreos

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and sugar until combined.  Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and milk together until light and foamy. Stir in melted butter.
Stir in flour mixture and mix until just blended.
Fold in chocolate chunks and crushed Oreo pieces.

Put a drop vegetable oil into the pan.
Pour between 1/4-1/2 cup of pancake batter into the pan.
Heat until bubbles start to form, flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
Serve with 3 in a stack, 2 scoops of mint choc chip ice cream, some warm melted chocolate and a few sprinklings of crushed Mint Oreos.

Devour and enjoy...and realise why the Americans have named this day Fat Tuesday!
I currently have a deliciously cute baby sleeping in my arms as we are babysitting for baby Elijah tonight...blogging with one hand is alot harder than it looks! but it's definitely worth it for these sweet snuggles he's been giving me!

9 comments:

  1. It looks like you really enjoyed that!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow these look amazing!! Definitely fitting for "fat tuesday!" I cant wait to get my hands on some mint oreos - I'll be getting recipe inspirations from your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's an amazing pile of pancakes ;-)

    Wanted to let you know that I gave you a Liebster Blog Award because I really like your enthusiasm for baking and we both love cupcakes and coconut ;-) Check my blog for details.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a good idea!! They look a lot better than my attempt at pancakes this year! (Disaster) And this would really suit my slight obsession with Oreo's :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that's an EPIC pancake! Happy Pancake Day hehe :) I didn't know you guys had Mint Oreos!!! I've never seen them before but would LOVE to try some ~ DELICIOUS :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Sadly we don't get Mint Oreos either...I had some leftover that my sisters brought me back from America. They are SO good though and so sometimes when I need a fix I'm willing to pay triple the price and get them through an American supplier online over here!!

      Delete
  6. OH MY HECK!!!!! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails