Monday 21 July 2014

Ferrero Rocher Brownie Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting


Generally, I like to try and space out blogging about similar flavours but too be honest I've been baking with Nutella SO much recently that it's proving difficult! Also, I instagrammed this picture of the cupcakes earlier and my sister messaged me to say her and her colleagues were drooling over the pic and since it's her turn to bring cakes in to work on Wednesday she'd like the recipe so I figured it had to be done!!

So hot on the heels of the Fudgiest Nutella Brownies, I bring you these Ferrero Rocher brownie cupcakes with Nutella frosting. 


 Our time in Scotland is very swiftly coming to an end, we have just a week and a half left! So when some of my mummy friends organised an impromptu picnic for today, since it was going to be nice weather...and in Scotland when the sunshine finally comes you do drop everything and get outside, I decided it would be one of my last chances to bake for them and so I'd better pull out all the stops!


So I whipped up my all time favourite Martha Stewart Brownie Cupcakes as the base, because they are so fudgy and delicious...and I'm not going to lie, because they can be made in just one bowl and don't require turning my Kitchenaid on because the baby was napping!  When she woke up, I brought her into the kitchen in her little bumbo as my 'sous chef' whilst I whipped up this creamy dreamy Nutella frosting - Ella just loves the loud noise of the Kitchenaid so was more than happy to sit and listen to it working its magic!

...and of course no Nutella cupcake is complete without a Ferrero Rocher topper! So a whole, I was considering cutting them in half but I figured if we were going to go decadent we might as well go all the way, Ferrero Rocher was placed on top of each mound of frosting and some melted Nutella was drizzled across them as the finishing touch!

If you're a chocolate lover...you are going to love these, if you are a Nutella lover - even better! Go and whip up a batch today, you will be so happy that you did!


Ferrero Rocher Brownie Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting:
Makes 12
Adapted from Martha Stewart via Cupcake Crazy Gem

175g dark chocolate
50g milk chocolate
113g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
65g cup plain flour
30g cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F.  
Place both chocolates and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.  Stir occasionally until just melted, about 4-5 mins.
 Remove bowl from heat.  Whisk in sugar and salt until mixture is smooth, whisk in eggs to combine.  Gently whisk in flour and cocoa just until smooth (do not overmix).
Fill cupcake cases until 3/4 full.  Bake, rotating tin halfway through, until an inserted knife comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, for 20-25 minutes*.

*Mine were ready at 22 minutes - you want moist crumbs to still be attached to your inserted knife since these are brownies and fudgy, and not cake like.

Nutella Frosting:

113g unsalted butter
185g Nutella
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
340g icing sugar
4 tbsp heavy cream or milk

12 Ferrero Rocher chocolates
4 heaped tsp Nutella, melted

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and Nutella until thick, fluffy and well combined for about 5 mins.  Slowly add in icing sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.

Add salt, vanilla, and 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk.  Blend on low speed until moistened.  Add an additional 1-2 tbsp of heavy cream or milk until you reach desired consistency*.

Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

*I added 3 tbsp of milk to create stiff enough frosting that would hold its shape when piped.  If I'd had cream in the house I would have rather used that as it makes for a tastier frosting!

Frost cupcakes.  Add a Ferrero Rocher on each one.

Melt 4 heaped tsp of Nutella in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute.

Transfer to a piping bag, snip a tiny bit of the end and drizzle over the cupcakes.

Eat and enjoy! 

6 comments:

  1. These look so indulgent Gem. I love ferrero rocher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh yum, these look amazing. I love the fact your baby loves the sound of the mixer, obviously takes after you :)
    Master chef in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I may struggle to eat just one of these, I'd been for at least three! Love everything about them, including the big Ferrero Rocher choc on the top.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh they look so decadent with the drizzling of Nutella on top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you explain why part of the recipe is in grams then changes to cups any chance you could give grams for the rest please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't know why I had done that! I've amended it with all grams measurements now! Thanks :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails