Monday 24 September 2012

Double Stuff Oreo Brownie Cupcakes & Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes



So this week was National cupcake week back in the U.K! I obviously missed it but I did manage to try out some of my first cupcakes here in Vancouver which was exciting! but for now I'll leave you with some cupcakes I made back in the summer, a double whammy of Oreo Brownie Cupcakes and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes!



because let's face it, brownie cupcakes are hands down some of my favourite cupcakes to bake and eat, and everything is better with Oreo's and Reese's - it's just a fact! 



which is why when I saw this in my ice cream aisle at my local Wal Mart this week my heart skipped a beat! you can read about my full Wal Mart experience here! (p.s how much do I love using the phrase 'local Wal Mart'!! haha)



It's no surprise that Oreos are one of the most baked with ingredients on my blog! (although they are slightly being overtaken by coconut as it stands right now!) You just can't beat an Oreo cupcake and so often when I get requested to bake cupcakes for people Oreo flavour is the first one that springs to mind!

The Oreo Brownie cupcake is a fave combo of mine and so when a friend requested some welcome home cupcakes for his daughter who had been in Canada I decided spicing up my brownie cupcakes with Oreos and Peanut Butter Cups would be fun...and I threw in some obligatory Union Jack cupcake cases to help welcome her back to the UK!


and when you're starting with either a Double Stuff Oreo or a Reese's Peanut Butter cup at the bottom of your cupcake, you know it's only going to get better from there! 


In fact you could probably even eat that whole tray of deliciousness without it ever reaching the oven if you wanted to! 

Let's break down each cupcake individually.  The Oreo masterpiece was a Double Stuff Oreo at the bottom, covered with a rich chocolate brownie batter with crushed Oreos inside, frosted with Oreo cream cheese frosting, and a sprinkling of crushed Oreo crumbs topped off with a mini Oreo! Phew...that's alot of Oreo going on in there! 


For the Reese's masterpiece, each cupcake begins with a mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup which gets baked into a peanut butter infused brownie batter, and then topped with thick and creamy peanut butter frosting, a sprinkling of Reese's Pieces and topped off with half a mini Peanut Butter Cup! 

Pure utter tastiness! on both accounts (yes I made extra so I could indulge in them too!)



Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes:
Makes 12


12 mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
225g dark chocolate
113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
185g caster sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
70g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
100g smooth peanut butter

Frost with the peanut butter frosting, no.6, from my Top 10 Frostings post.



Double Stuff Oreo Brownie Cupcakes:
Makes 12


12 Double Stuff Oreos
225g dark chocolate
113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
185g caster sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
70g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
100g crushed Oreos

Frost with the oreo cream cheese frosting, no.2, from my Top 10 Frostings post.

To make the brownie cupcakes:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set above a pan of simmering water.  Stir occasionally until just melted, about 4-5 mins.
Remove bowl from heat and whisk in the sugar and salt until the mixture is smooth,  whisk in the eggs to combine.  
Gently whisk in flour and cocoa until just smooth (do not overmix).  If you are making the Reese's one, this is the point you would stir in the peanut butter, if you are making the Oreo ones then stir in the crushed oreos.

Put a half a Double Stuff Oreo or a whole mini Reese's peanut butter cup in the bottom of your cupcake cases.  Top up with 3/4 brownie batter.  Bake, rotating tin halfway through, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, about 25-30 minutes.

22 comments:

  1. Wow I love the look fo the penut butter cupcakes and the ice creams!!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the ice creams blow my mind! Every supermarket we go into the selection just seems to get better and better, I had a free trial of some pumpkin pie ice cream in a supermarket earlier that was super tasty!

      Delete
  2. OMG Gem both of these look sooo yummy! I love baking Oreos into cakes-when people try them, they are always amazed. I must try the same but with peanut butter cups! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! yeah the peanut butter cups worked a treat! I had meant to freeze them before I popped them in the cake but I forgot, but they didn't even melt so they worked well!

      Delete
  3. These are amazing! I happen to have some Reece's peanut butter cups from my recent trip to America so I might have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do it! I am going Reese's peanut butter cup crazy over here! I just had some frozen yoghurt at this place where you could pick as many toppings as you wanted so I had graham cracker crumbs, oreos, reese's pieces, reese's peanut butter cups and peanut butter sauce! It was so amazing!

      Delete
  4. Wow, awesome cupcakes Gem! You definitely outdid yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! Apparently they were devoured so that's always good to know!

      Delete
  5. Gem, I could quite easily dive into that frosting and make a very large mess, it looks so good! Glad you are getting on well in Vancouver and you are making me very very jealous with all the produce you now have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Yeah I often have to resist diving face first into frostings..it's so tempting though! We are absolutely loving Vancouver! and we've only had 2 days of rain so far out of 24 days of being here so I'm thinking we have luck on our side!

      Delete
  6. I have a weakness for double stuffed. Drooling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - everything is better with double stuff!

      Delete
  7. I still can't believe I haven't got round to baking with oreos considering I'm constantly drooling over all your oreo bakes! I didn't even know oreo ice cream existed, wow! The wonders of WalMart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, for me these days it's rare if I don't bake with Oreos! you defo need to give it a go Jo! The wonders of Walmart indeed! You can even buy oreo ice cream sandwiches and everything!

      Delete
  8. Ummnn,, My mouth is watering by seeing the pictures of those brownie cup cakes. I would try this recipe at home surely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh! I'm drooling over these heavenly treat! Just look at how tempting they are made me wanna reach out & take FEW now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit! I felt like that when I was writing the blog post up and they were long gone!

      Delete
  10. HAHHA you are so addicted to Oreos but I would be too :) if i was in Vancouver :) these cupcakes are amazing as always hehe can't wait to see what other goodies you come up with the accessbilility to all those American confectionary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even in Vancouver when I made these Daisy, it was a few months back I made them! but you're right I hope to have lots more over the top treats now I can get my hands on so many great things over here!

      Delete
  11. Oreo ice cream??!!! That alone makes me want to put in a visa application! Love these - Oreo cupcakes are my all time favourite especially with double stuffers lurking at the bottom. I will definitely have to try the Reese's ones for my best friend who is a Reese's fiend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh yeah they have oreo EVERYTHING here! Yes, any reese's fans would be loving these! I even tried rolo and reese's peanut butter cup ice cream yesterday, it was tasty!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails