Wednesday 18 July 2012

Peanut Butter Oreo Pretzel Brownies


It's hard to believe that I'm a recent convert to peanut butter! but in true Gem style once I'm into something I usually take it a little overboard (moderation is not really my style!) So these brownies have three peanut butter components to them:

1 - the peanut butter Oreos that are sandwiched between the brownie (and that were gifted to me by my husband on my birthday! Luckily we got sent 2 packs by mistake so we have been enjoying them for weeks now!)
2 - the peanut butter frosting
3 - the double dipped peanut butter and chocolate covered pretzels for decoration...


and not only for decoration but I added them on top of the brownie for serious tastiness to take these brownies over the edge! Let's just go back and revisit that description for a moment - double dipped peanut butter and chocolate covered pretzels! that's right, they are a pretzel smothered in peanut butter and if that wasn't good enough they are then finished off with a generous coating of chocolate! 

These brownies were lucky that there were any pretzels left for decoration by the time the end of the baking session came, because I'd been snacking on the whole bag throughout! American Soda sent me these amazingly tasty Flipz pretzels and before then I had only come across the regular milk and white chocolate covered pretzels before so these were like a revelation to me! an amazingly tasty revelation! I urge any pretzel lovers to give these a try...they will make your day - and make you want to add them to the next tasty treat you make! 


Trust me, these were so delicious that the brownies didn't even make it to the photography stage pre eating.  The smell that spread throughout the house was so peanut butter-y and delish that as soon as I'd slathered the frosting on top (and yes, we couldn't wait so the brownies were still slightly warm and the frosting became a melting runny mess!) everyone had made their way into the kitchen to claim their piece! So I managed to save back one piece to photograph later that evening once our peanut butter fest had subsided! 

Peanut Butter Oreo Pretzel Brownies:
Makes 15
Adapted from My Baking Addiction

113g dark chocolate; coarsely chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plain flour
15 Peanut Butter Oreo's

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line an 11x7" baking pan with tin foil and grease with butter.
Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwaveable safe bowl at medium power for 3-4 minutes, or in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water until butter is melted.
Stir until chocolate is melted,  Whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.  Gradually add in flour and stir until just combined.  

Spread half the batter into the prepared pan.  Add an even layer of Peanut Butter Oreo's and cover with remaining 1/2 of the brownie batter.  Bake for 30-35 minutes (do not over bake). 

Leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Peanut Butter Frosting:

2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup semi-skimmed milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Blend everything together until smooth.  If you require a thicker consistency add more sugar, or if you want it thinner add more milk.

To decorate:

15 double dipped peanut butter and chocolate pretzels

Frost the brownies generously.  Cut into 15 portions (that's how many I got from my brownie pan) and stick a cute little pretzel on top of each individual brownie.

Serve with generous scoops of vanilla ice cream and don't think about the calories! 

Disclosure: American Soda provided me with these complimentary products.  However my participation was voluntary, and all opinions and views expressed are my own.

24 comments:

  1. I am literally drooling all over - Want!!!

    Lara @bakemyday87.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I guess they are rather drool worthy! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. oh. my. gosh. get. in. my. belly!! hahaha jk jk but seriously those are absolutely outrageous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha absolutely outrageous baking is the only kind I do!thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. What a tasty sweet and salty combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome combo...definitely verging more towards the sweet side of things but the pretzels help to keep the balance!

      Delete
  4. They look amazing. I used to love those flipz pretzels, they sold them for a few months when I was at school but then they dissapeared from the UK. I used to love the white chocolate fudge ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I remember when they used to sell them too Katie, I was never a massive fan but these peanut butter ones have changed my mind!

      Delete
  5. OMG, these look so tasty. I love, love oreos. Am going to make these this weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know what you thought of them!

      Delete
  6. wow these look awesome! they have everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do, and probably zillions of calories too but we'll gloss over that part!

      Delete
  7. Peanut butter AND Oreos - you and I are on the same page - WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes we certainly are - in my opinion everything tastes better when Oreo's involved!

      Delete
  8. Now you're talking! No coconut in sight but lots of lovely peanut butter!! Not a huge fan of pretzels but I'm sure I won't say no to PB pretzels! I bought some PB oreos and blueberry oreos from my travels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like pretzels by themselves either Ros but these are amazing, I know your peanut butter loving self would think so too! Wow I've never tried the blueberry ones before, you'll have to let me know what they're like!

      Delete
  9. Well you've picked all the best flavors here!
    wonderful recipe!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yes it's an amalgamation of extreme tastiness!

      Delete
  10. I just saw this post. These look amazing! I've got a bag of these peanut butter Oreo's from my last trip to the US (along with the strawberry sundae and birthday cake ones) and I have no idea what to do with them. These brownies just might be the solution - although I don't have the pretzels to fully complete them. Glad to hear you're finally coming over to the dark side and sharing the peanut butter love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I wish I had access to your biscuit cupboard right now - yum! what a great sounding stash! I definitely think these brownies are the solution to your pb oreos! They'd still be super tasty without the pretzels, you could crush up more of the pb oreos on top...or you could buy regular pretzels and dip them in pb and chocolate yourself!
    Yeah I won't be breaking out the peanut butter with apple just yet, but I'm getting there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so naughty! Wicked and sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! these are just amazing looking! Can't believe I didn't know that peanut butter Oreo's are a thing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails