Monday 28 May 2012

Mango Coconut Cream Pie


I am really consciously trying to spread out my coconut posts! but the fact of the matter is everything I have been baking recently is coconut related so you're just going to have to bear with me for the next few weeks if you are a coconut hater - I know it tends to evoke strong reactions from people! 

I actually baked this pie waaaay back over the Easter break.  We had a little Caribbean night at my parents house with Jamaican goat curry from my husband and some mango and lime cordial we had bought at a farmers market, so I decided a Mango & Coconut Cream pie for dessert would finish off the night nicely! 


I also had fun using my sisters iphone to snap a few pictures as I went along! I could eat juicy Mango everyday of my life and not get sick of it - it's delish! 


After making the coconut cream filling, desiccated coconut gets stirred in...


and then the mango gets mixed in.  


This is all put on a hobnob biscuit base and left to set in the fridge.



Whipped cream and a sprinkling of toasted shredded coconut finished it off, and I even caramelised a few bits of Mango too.



The filling wasn't quite as firm as it typically is when I have made Coconut Cream Pie in the past, I think the moisture from the mango must have affected it so I would probably suggest adding some more cornflour to the recipe below to help it become firmer.  

This is a perfect bake for those summery days to take you away to somewhere more tropical! 

and don't forget there are only 2 more days left for you to enter your American inspired bakes for the United Bakes of America challenge

Mango Coconut Cream Pie:
Serves 14-16
Adapted from Cupcake Crazy Gem

Base: 
300g Hobnobs/crushed biscuits
110g unsalted butter (melted)

Filling:
 140g caster sugar
30g corn flour
240g coconut milk
240g whole milk
10g vanilla bean paste
30g unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
60g/3 egg yolks
60g/1 large egg
160g fresh mango, chopped into cubes
50g desiccated coconut 

Topping:
475g double cream
80g coconut milk
56g caster sugar
 A handful of shredded coconut (toasted)

75g chopped mango

2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp lime and mango syrup

Preheat oven to 150 degrees c.

Melt butter in a pan on the hob (or in microwave in short low heat bursts).  Crush your biscuits up in a food processor.  Mix the butter into the biscuits and spread your biscuit base into your pan.  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Whilst that is baking, pre mix the caster sugar and the corn flour together with a whisk in a saucepan.  Add the coconut milk, whole milk, vanilla bean paste, butter, egg yolks and whole egg into the pan as well.  Heat all ingredients on a medium-high heat on the hob for 5 minutes, or until all of the butter has melted and all the ingredients are well mixed together.  Mix for a further five minutes until the mixture thickens (the original method I followed instructed you to do figure of 8's with your whisk at this point, I'm not sure if it's actually necessary but I did it anyway!).

Remove your pan from the heat.  Leave the filling to cool.  Add the desiccated coconut and stir it in. Chop up mango into cubes and add it to the coconut filling. 

Pour it into your biscuit base that you have removed from the oven.  Leave it to firm up in the fridge for an hour or overnight.

Sprinkle a few handfuls of shredded coconut or however much you would like for your decoration on to a baking tray.  Place it under the grill and watch it as it can burn very quickly! You want it so that it is lightly toasted, with some pieces brown but not necessarily all pieces.  Approx 3-5mins.  Take out the oven and leave to cool.

Add the double cream and coconut milk to your mixer.  Whip on medium speed until it begins to thicken. Add the caster sugar a little at a time, increase the speed to high and whip until stiff.  

Remove your pie from the fridge and top with the coconut cream.  

Sprinkle the now cooled toasted coconut on top.

In a small saucepan, add the chopped mango, caster sugar and I used a teaspoon of the lime and mango cordial but a teaspoon of water would also work fine.  Heat until it is just about to boil.  
Once cooled sprinkle the caramelised mango in the middle of the pie.

Eat and enjoy! 

9 comments:

  1. What a great twist on a traditional coconut cream pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no more coconut? :( I do love mangoes and even if you keep posting coconut recipes, I'll still be back as they are always awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous and perfectly tropical for the hot weather we have been having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Topical cakes are such a treat and this looks fantastic!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like coconut so I don't mind :) This looks so summery and tropical. Although I love baking with fruit I don't think I've ever baked with mango.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mango and coconut! This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Mango is also our favorite! My younger son loves mango & have been requesting for a mango cake! These looks so good & very delicious! Certainly trying this recipe! Have a lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG this looks WONDERFUL :) I'm so gonna make this!! But damn..mangoes aren't in season now and are SO expensive...so i might save it for summer time when we can get a whole box of mangoes for really cheap hehe woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails